Monday 4 August 2014

Summer is the annual permission slip to be lazy. To do nothing and have it count for something. To lie in the grass and count the stars. To sit on a branch and study the clouds - Regina Brett

Wow! It has been such a long time since I have posted, for that I am sorry! My 30 day blog post ended disastrously (and I started with so much gusto) but that is all behind us now and a long hot summer lies ahead with many dusty books which await awakening. So, in between travelling between Hull (exotic), Cardiff (mentoring a summer school) and Malta (actually exotic) I got a few moments to read some books I've been meaning to read for ages. 
Margaret Attwood - The Handmaid's Tale
I finally finished reading Margaret Attwood's The Handmaid's Tale. I have already written a post of the blurb of the story, which you can read here: http://elouiselilly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/i-measure-progress-of-community-by.html When I finally started reading the novel, I was surprised that I liked the writing style because it constantly flits between memories and present events which can sometimes be confusing. Yet, Attwood manages to incorporate these features into the story making it a pleasurable read for a sunny afternoon (especially for those sci-fi fans out there) and, of course, you can never beat a classic. However I would have to suggest that you give the film a miss, it really is terrible as it loses the feeling of the book and makes you see event from a different perspective compared to the book. unfortunately some books really don't translate well into film, this is definitely one of them. 
Jon Ronson - The Psychopath Test 
The next book I have been reading is The Psychopath Test and I acquired this book, as I do with many of my books, from a second hand sale - 10 books for a pound (I mean who can really afford nine pounds for a book). Consequently, it meant that I had this one of his and also another book of his Lost at Sea. If you think you recognise his name, it is because you probably do, he is also the author of the best selling novel and film The Men Who Stare at Goats. I have not actually read this novel or see the film but after reading the aforementioned title, I will definitely consider checking ti out if (when) we have a rainy day. The book itself tells of Ronson's journey through the world of psychology, particularly examining psychopaths, from the dark corridors of Broadmoor to the bustling corporate world. I originally picked up this book as my sister was studying psychology at the time and I thought it would help her with her studies. In the end, she didn't read it, so I stole it off her shelf! I am so glad I did. I generally don't read non-fiction, but the style was engaging and the topic interesting, he knew how long to stay on a subject and the way he linked events, as if he was searching for a goal, could trick you into believing you were reading a quest narrative. He is an amazing journalist, who knows how to tell a story and ask the questions that no-one else would really think of. 
Susan Kiernan Lewis - Free Falling 
This is another book I have been reading whilst laying in the sunshine on holiday. A spoilt American family go on holiday to a remote cottage in rural Ireland and when they wake up on the second day, they discover that the nuclear apocalypse has happened. Luckily, Ireland was untouched and they are living on a farm, so technically they could survive. The only problem is that they need all the help of the community they can get, but it was the American's who dropped the bomb, so they are enemy number one. Watch them as they struggle to survive, grow as people and ultimately discover what it is to be human. Interesting, if not scary read. 
Have you been reading any books over the summer? If so, let me know.
Lots of Love
Elouise
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment