Tuesday 10 June 2014

Day 1 - The first book you read that made you love reading

This is such a difficult question, I have no idea why I put it first. There are some many books that shaped my childhood but the first book I really remember reading is...
I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith 
I remember getting this book out of the school library even though I was too young to read it. I had to return the book before I finished it and I was so upset that my parents brought me the audio book for my birthday. I don't know why I picked this one out of all the books on the shelf, maybe it was the idea of the castle and I thought it would be princesses. It is actually so much more. The story began my questioning of love; sometimes the person who you love does not always love you back but it is not the end of the world. It illustrates the freedom you can gain from accepting and rejecting love but also shows independent women making their own decisions.
 I loved the idea of a bohemian life, living in a run down castle that was falling apart and just writing about you life; Smith makes the mundane exceptional. It is also the story of sisters and their relationship. Even though they are different, they find common ground and I found this relationship really easy to relate to that of me and my sister. The ending makes the book, it shows that even if life does not turn out how you expect, it can still be a happy ending; you do not need a husband to be happy, independent women are freed through their words. This is actually the book that inspired my writing and gave me the confidence to show people that my life was worth writing about. Reading back on my diaries, they are not exactly riveting but I have this book to thank for where I am today, studying Literature at university. I do not think my life would be the same without inspirational women writers speaking to me from a young age. 
What is the book that inspired you to read or have you not found it yet? 
Check back tomorrow for day 2 and have a great day today.
Lots of Love
Elouise
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment